Tuesday, December 1, 2020

xiv: an old friend

we weren't busy yesterday. i was the only mountebank there except for alan roach. he was assigned to keep watch over me while the rest of the mountebanks had a meeting with the timberwolves.

he wasn't very good at it.

giles came in again.

he looked around, saw how empty it was. he walked up to me.

"you ever hear of aleister crowley?"
i think he saw something at the corner of my mouth, a twitch that started as a smile but changed quickly to a frown.

(the masks worn by mountebanks are only half-masks. doesn't necessarily keep with the whole "everything is a mask" thing, but it's useful for people to be able to see at least part of your expression when they're trying to cut a deal with you.)

i turned away.
"kaden," he said.
 i nodded.
"kaden crowley, what the hell are you doing here?"
 i turned back to him. "i needed money. i needed friends."
"i'm your friend," he said. he turned to look at alan, who was in the corner on his laptop, occasionally glancing up at me. "not him."
"that's what they want me to think too." i sighed and lowered my head. "i know you mean well, but..." i shook my head. "no," i said at last, "you're right."
giles nodded. "i'm sorry to bring this up so soon, but i have a favor to ask you."
i looked up at him. "anything."
giles raised an eyebrow.
"never mind," i said, feeling... a little embarrassed. "what is it?"
"well, you know henry hallack and eric zane, of course."
i nodded.
"right. well, we timberwolves... we..." he took a deep breath in. "we kidnapped them. i need your help saving them from the other timberwolves. there aren't as many of the timberwolves as there usually are. most of them are at a meeting."
"right. i'm well aware of the effects of my little white lie on our relationship with the timberwolves. so where are they keeping henry and eric?"
"where else? abandoned warehouse." he rolled his eyes at the thought. "meet me at the old spot tomorrow morning so we can talk without prying eyes and ears. 7 o'clock, sharp."
 i nodded. "7 am. i'll be there."

giles started to leave, but before he walked out the door, he turned back to me.

"i saw what you wrote about me."
i could feel my face grow hot under my mask.
he glanced over at alan- he was busy- and then back at me. i love you too, he mouthed.

he waited just a second to see the look on what little he could make out of my face before he left.

i love that bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment